The second Meneely bell foundry was established in 1870 by a third son, Clinton H. Meneely, across the river in Troy, New York. Initially he was in partnership with George H. Kimberly, under the name Meneely & Kimberly; this second foundry was reorganized in 1879 as the Clinton H. Meneely Bell Company, then later as the Meneely Bell Company. Like its related competitor, it remained a family operation until its closure.
The two foundries competed vigorously (and sometimes bitterly) with each other, and their products should not be confused. Together, they produced about 65,000 bells before they both closed in 1952 wipipedia (31-10-2015) |